I used to be a weekly spray tanner. I even dubbed Thursdays ‘Tan and Thai Thursday’ as my weekly ritual would be to get a spray tan after work and then order Thai takeaway for dinner! A fun little ritual, pre-children. Then, when I was pregnant with Hannah I stopped spray tanning, and I’ve only had a a few since then (not while pregnant though!). Although I’ve learned to embrace a far less bronzed look, when the lovely Brooke from Little Tanning Dress approached me to try out one of her Little Tanning Dresses, I jumped at the chance to try the dress (and to get a spray tan!). I don’t have any events on this weekend however seeing it’s the last weekend of summer I thought why not? I always get my spray tans done at Lush at New Farm, Brisbane and in my opinion they’re the best around. Dedicated tan rooms and all you could need for a great spray tan. So this morning I enjoyed a child-free 45 minutes while I got a spray tan and I wore this perfect dress by Little Tanning Dress.
When I used to tan weekly, I didn’t have anything nearly as nice to tan in, but I always wore black. This fabric, however, does not cling at all and is very slinky and comfortable. It also doesn’t crease and does not blot or absorb the tan like other fabrics can. It’s also very versatile. You could easily wear this dress out for dinner with heels, or pair it with some sandals and sunnies like I have and wear out for coffee or shopping. And this style is also breastfeeding friendly and you can wear a real bra with it too. Did I tell you the best news? It’s under $50!
Little Tanning Dress has also very generously offered a discount code for Pretty Chuffed followers – use ‘CHUFFED20’ for 20% off at the checkout!
If you’ve never had a spray tan before, or have had mixed results in the past, here’s my six top tips to getting a great spray tan:
1. Think ahead. If you have an event Saturday evening, it’s best to book in for the Thursday or Friday night. That way the tan will look more natural and would have fully developed by the event. There is also overnight or rapid tans available now, which means (if getting a rapid tan) you can wash off before bed and no more brown sheets!
2. Go to a reputable salon. It’s important to get spray tanned by someone who knows what they are doing. You do not want a patchy tan as it can be difficult to remove. Ask around, and book in somewhere that specialises in tans.
3 Exfoliate. The night or day before your tan, exfoliate your skin using a body wash and an exfoliating glove. Moisturise the day before, but not just before your tan. And, if you wash your hair just before your tan, you must again exfoliate to ensure any soap or shampoo has been removed from your skin.
4. Remove hair the day before. This is to make sure your skin has settled after the removal and the tan will be more even. And hair removal after the tan may remove your tan, too!
5. Wear black or dark colours/prints. I always wore a loose black dress to my tan, however the range from Little Tanning Dress is perfect!
6. Moisturise! It’s important to keep moisture to your skin to ensure the tan stays nice and even. Moisturising will also make the tan last longer.
Also: if you are breastfeeding, ensure you wear a proper bra or bikini top while getting tanned as you do not want your little one getting tan on them while feeding! I wear a normal black bra which I tuck to be ‘strapless’ while getting the tan.
So, here’s how I wore the Little Tanning Dress Emmy short dress for my tanning appointment this morning (note: I wore Havaianas to the appointment however once I showered afterwards I changed shoes).